Fall 2014 Greenest Floor Challenge Winners
In its opening year, only about 40 rooms obtained green certification status during the Greenest Floor Challenge. But by the end of the 2014 competition’s first week, 96 students had certified their rooms. A total of 382 students certified their rooms for the 2014 challenge. While this is a decrease from last year's 525, it is by no means an insignificant figure. A culture of sustainability is still gaining momentum at IU, motivating students to make more responsible, environmentally conscious lifestyle choices.
Great job to the students who certified their rooms, and thank you for making IU's campus more sustainable! Even though this was a competion, in the end, everybody is a winner after effectively working together to make IU a greener university. Congratulations to 2014's Greenest Floor Challenge winners! The floors with the highest proportion of certified rooms in each residence hall are listed in the chart below:
Instructions For Winners
The Office will notify you upon compilation of results sometime in late November or early December. TVs should be delivered sometime before Winter Break or early next semester. Email email@example.com with questions.
Student Hannah Coots poses next to her GRCP certificate after certifying her room in 2011.
Certify At Any Time
The Greenest Floor Challenge occurs every fall semester during the Fall Energy Challenge. The 2014 competition will take place from October 13 through November 11.
1. Certify your room by filling out the online certification form. Even if it is not during the Greenest Floor Challenge dates, you can still earn a certificate for you room!
2. Greening IU's campus doesn't end with you! Tell your friends, floormates, and classmates about the program and get them to certify their rooms. By adopting a green lifestyle and spreading the word of sustainability to others, you are truly doing your part in reducing IU's ecological footprint.
If you want to win, use these tips to increase participation!
- Post a sign-up sheet next to your floor's elevator, on your RA's door, or in another easily visable spot for students to sign once they certify their room.
- Tell your floor mates about the Green Room Certification Program and the Greenest Floor Challenge, and then follow up by actually showing them the website and how to certify using the online form.
- Write daily/weekly goals on your floor's bulletin board, white board, or elsewhere, for your floor mates to strive for! Check out the list of criteria on the online form to set your goals.
- Post your green room certificate it on your door so others can see that you certified your room!
- Talk to your floor mates about how important it is for all IU students to live sustainably in order for the university, the City of Bloomington, and the earth to continue to survive happily and prosper!
Prize & Certificate Distribution
Certify your room ASAP to guarantee that you receive a prize! Every student who certifies their room will receive a certificate, but the prizes will only be distributed while supplies last. The challenge officially ends at 11:59 PM on Monday, November 10th, so make sure you ceritify before then to be guaranteed a prize
- Prizes and certificates are mailed to your residence hall via IU Mail Services, so be sure to check your mailbox before you leave for winter break. Also, please recycle the cardboard box that contains your prizes!
- If you certified your room but never received your prizes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Make the subject heading of your email "GRCP Missing Prize." Include your name, campus address, and the date you submitted your certification form.