Fall 2013 Greenest Floor Challenge Winners
The results are in and it’s official: a green revolution is sweeping IU’s campus! In its opening year, only about 40 rooms obtained green certification status during the Greenest Floor Challenge. This semester, the results were staggering.
By the end of the competition’s first week, 188 students had certified their rooms! A total of 525 students certified their rooms for this year’s challenge—over ten times that of the first year! This significant increase in participation confirms that a culture of sustainability is gaining momentum at IU, motivating students to make more responsible, environmentally conscious lifestyle choices.
Great job to the students who certified their rooms, and thank you for making IU's campus more sustainable! Even though this was a competion, in the end, everybody is a winner after effectively working together to make IU a greener university. Congratulations to this year's Greenest Floor Challenge victors! The floors with the highest proportion of certified rooms in each residene hall are listed in the chart below:
Instructions For Winners
Winning floors of the Greenest Floor Challenge have one week upon receiving the results to schedule their pizza party. The RA or a student proxy on each residence hall's winning floor must email IUOS intern, Rachel Joseph, at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange the pizza party details.
Student Hannah Coots poses next to her GRCP certificate on her bedroom door after certifying her room in 2011.
You Can Still Certify
The Greenest Floor Challenge occurs every fall semester during the Fall Energy Challenge. This year's competition took place from October 7 through November 4. Even though the GFC is over, you can still certify your room and receive a lovely certificate to hang on your door, show to your friends and family, or put in your scrapbook or with your other IU keepsakes.
1. Certify your room by filling out the online certification form.
2. Greening IU's campus doesn't end with you! Tell your friends, floormates, and classmates about the program and get them to certify their rooms. By adopting a green lifestyle and spreading the word of sustainability to others, you are truly doing your part in reducing IU's ecological footprint.
If you want to win your floor a pizza party, use these tips to increase participation!
- Post a sign-up sheet next to your floor's elevator, on your RA's door, or in another easily visable spot for students to sign once they certify their room!
- Tell your floor mates about the Green Room Certification Program and the Greenest Floor Challenge, and show them the website and how to certify using the online form.
- Write daily/weekly goals on your floor's bulletin board, white board, or elsewhere, for your floor mates to strive for! Check out the list of criteria on the online form to set your goals.
- Once you receive your certificate, post it on your door so others can see that you certified your room!
- Show off your awesome water bottle prize once it arrives in the mail!
- Hold a floor meeting to brainstorm a competition strategy.
- Talk to your floor mates about how important it is for all IU students to live sustainably in order for the university, the City of Bloomington, and the earth to continue to survive happily and prosper!
- Tell your RA about the Green Room Certification Program bulletin board kit that they can print off or have mailed to them. All they have to do is cut out the pre-made kit and assemble it on your floor's board! Click here to download this kit and more.
- If you can get every person on your floor to certify their room, you're gonna win!
Water Bottle & Certificate Distribution
Certify your room ASAP to guarantee that you receive a water bottle! Every student who certifies their room will receive a certificate, but the water bottle prizes will only be distributed during the Greenest Floor Challenge while supplies last. The challenge officially ends at 11:59 PM on Monday, November 4th, so make sure you ceritify before then!
Water bottles and certificates are distributed every Monday during the Greenest Floor Challenge. Prizes are mailed to your residence hall via IU Mail Services, so be sure to check your mailbox throughout the week after you certify. Also, please recycle the cardboard box that contains your prizes! The final distribution day is November 7th.
If you certified your room but never received your prizes, please email the IUOS First Year Experience intern, Rachel Joseph (email@example.com). Make the subject heading of your email "GRCP Missing Prize." Include your name, campus address, the date you submitted your certification form, and the number of green criteria you accomplished in the email.