News & Events
This Week in Sustainability
This Week in Sustainability is a weekly bulletin with campus sustainability events, volunteer opportunities, and job postings.
- Wed, August 26th- Green Drinks Panel
- On Wednesday, August 26 at 6pm Green Drinks will host a panel of representatives at Upland Brewing Co. from four local environmental groups-- Sycamore Land Trust, Sassafras Audubon, Indiana Forest Alliance and Citizens’ Climate Lobby—each giving a brief presentation about current projects, activities and how the public can get involved.
- Monday, September 14th - GMO Panel Discussion
- The Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market is hosting a panel discussion and community forum to address questions about Genetically Modified Organisms, or GMOs, Sept. 14 from 7 until 8:30 p.m. in the atrium of City Hall, 401 N. Morton St. The discussion will help answer questions about what GMOs are, what types of GMOs are available on the market, and the pros and cons of growing GMO produce.
Jobs/ Internships/ Grants/ Fellowships
Internships in Sustainability
- Applications are now being accepted for the 2015-2016 Sustainability Internship class. 10 paid positions are available from October-May 2016. Apply now!
2020 Sustainability Scholars
- IUOS is piloting an undergraduate research program for freshman and sophomore students. Read about the new program and apply!
Big Red Eats Green
- The annual Big Red Eats Green event on September 10th needs volunteers! Details are still to come - contact IUOS for more information.
Hoosier Hills Food Bank Community Garden Volunteers
- The Hoosier Hills Food Bank garden program increases the quantity and quality of food provided to food pantries and soup kitchens. Volunteers are welcome at the Will Detmer Park garden on Vernal Pike. Both novices and experienced organic gardeners are welcome. Volunteer hours are 9-11 a.m. on Mon. and Thurs. and 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Wed., April-Oct. Special volunteer days are posted on our calendar. Individuals or groups are encouraged to participate. Groups can set up special hours. Minimum age is 14; 12 if with an adult. Email Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or contact Bobbi at email@example.com or 812-334-8374 for details. Website
Community Garden at Crawford Apts.
- The Crawford Apartments, which provide safe and affordable housing to individuals who have faced challenges such as chronic homelessness, addiction, and disability, is starting a garden! The residents are excited to have the opportunity to work together to have fresh, healthy foods while learning about sustainable living. Volunteer activities include planting, weeding, fertilizing, and watering. Gardening experience is encouraged, but not necessary. Minimum age is 18. Interested? Contact Ayman Ashwaiheen at (317) 459-6410 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Garden Workdays
- Come out and volunteer at the Hilltop Campus Garden Wednesdays from 5-7pm and Sundays 6-8. All are welcome to come play in the dirt and learn more about gardening. Speakers are scheduled to talk about garden-related topics throughout the summer. All tools and gloves are provided. No registration required. For more information, click here.