The summer program will run from May to August 2015. Interns are expected to work roughly 20 hours/week and will be compensated for their time at a rate of $11/hr for graduate students and $9/hr for undergraduates.
- Applicants must be full-time students at Indiana University Bloomington at the time they apply to the program.
- Current students graduating before the program begins are not eligible.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Graduate and undergraduate students in all schools are eligible to apply.
Is an Internship Right for You?
IUOS interns are high achieving and actively involved students who hail from all corners of campus. From the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts to the Department of Physics to the School of Journalism, each of our alumni has enriched our program with a different perspective on sustainability. And while it is this diversity that strengthens our program, there are a couple of traits that are common among our interns:
- Passion: students in our program are passionate about making our campus a more socially, economically and environmentally equitable place. They demonstrate this passion through their choices in course work, previous employment, extracurricular involvement and career goals.
- Independence: many of the internships require students to work well independently and make their own hours. They are self-motivated and self-directed.
- Critical thinking: all of our interns demonstrate the ability to think critically through complex problems and reach well-reasoned and comprehensive solutions.
- Perseverance: sustainability-related projects are attempts to address complex problems, and interns often run into obstacles along the way. Our most successful interns work tirelessly to approach each barrier in new and creative ways.
- Respect and inclusivity: the internship program depends on respectful collaboration between interns. Our students make a commitment to working well each other and making sure that work is relevant to the largest number of students, faculty, staff and community members.
To learn more about the typical responsibilities and activities of an intern, visit our blog. Our interns update it regularly, often on topics related to their internships.
Steps for Applying
- Read through the internship offerings and determine which positions might be a good fit for you.
- Download (but DO NOT print!) the IUOS application questions to begin preparing your responses.
- Contact your recommender, request permission to use him/her as a reference and obtain his/her email address.
- Complete your application.
- Confirm that you recommender has submitted your evaluation.
- Submit your application by 11:59pm on Sunday, February 15. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions along the way.)
Preparing Your Application
The IU Office of Sustainability (IUOS) is currently accepting applications for its Summer 2015 Internship Program in Sustainability. The application asks students to provide information about their education, work, and volunteer experience, as well a personal statement expressing their interest in and qualifications for the internship program. Applicants must also provide a recommendation from a professor or past supervisor. Students interested in applying to the program are encouraged to request a letter of recommendation before the application period begins to ensure it is complete by the deadline. The application due date in 11:59pm on February 15, 2015.