Why Volunteer at the Garden?
- Learn how to maintain a garden and to reap what you sow!
- Take home fresh produce for free
- Learn the importance of local food for your health and the health of the community
- Make new friends!
- All volunteers are provided with proper gardening tools and gloves upon arrival
- Volunteering takes place every Monday from 5 - 7pm and Thursday from 6-8pm at the Hilltop Garden and Nature Center. No need to sign up, just show up! See you there!
Third Thursday Speaker Series & Special Events
Every third Thursday of the month the IU Campus Garden will host a guest speaker to give a special talk on the topic of the day. In the summer, guest speakers present on workdays, Wednesdays and Sundays.
Like us on facebook: facebook.com/IuCampusGardenInitiative
and join our e-mail list to keep up with our schedule of guest talks and special events!
- May 20th: Cream cheese and herbs social
- Speaker: Victoria Getty, Dietetics
- May 24th: Compost and soil amendment
- Speaker: Daniel Atlas
- June 7th: Soil and sheet mulching
- Speaker: Rebecca Ellsworth
- June 10: pest management
- Speaker: Lea Woodard
- June 17: diseases
- Speaker: Amy Thompson
- June 24: harvesting and handling produce
- Speaker: Graham McKeen
- July 1: perennial berries and pruning
- Speaker: Amy Roche and Ross Gay from Bloomington Community Orchard
- July 22: Identifying weeds and wild plants, what is edible?
- Speaker: Lucille Bertuccio
- July 29: irrigation and watering
- Speaker: Rhonda Baird